LVEJO Youth Organizer
Mission of LVEJO:
“We work for justice at home and abroad, connecting our local struggle for democracy with the global one and live by the principle that as working and poor people globally, we have the right to control our lives and resources.”
LVEJO is a multi-generational-led, environmental justice, community organizing program. LVEJO empowers youth leadership and community to fight for environmental justice. Environmental justice provides a framework for young people to name and understand the systems of oppression in their surroundings, and to work for solutions to the problems that they experience on a daily basis. During the school year, LVEJO works with 2-3 public grammar and high schools to conduct in depth, student-led, community action projects.
The Youth Organizer for LVEJO coordinates and oversees all aspects of the program with the other Organizers/Directors, including supervising youth organizers, developing work plans and budgets, and implementing the work campaign.
Responsibilities (included but not limited to):
- Support Community Led Organizing Campaigns and Youth Action Projects: Support the participation, development, and leadership of Youth Organizers in youth-led organizing campaigns and in youth action projects.
- Leadership Development: Assess training needs to develop and provide training for Youth Organizers. Maintain and implement Youth Organizer training curriculum. Provide additional leadership development opportunities through hands-on experience, including conducting environmental justice tours and workshops.
- Supervision and Program Administration: Coordinate recruitment process for youth organizers. Create program work plans with youth organizers. Maintain personal development plans for each youth organizer and support personal development goals through mentoring, training, hand-on experience, and referrals to other resources. Facilitate program planning and draft work plans for Directors Approval.
- Program/Organizational Planning: Participate and co-lead LVEJO Campaign team planning. Participate in LVEJO-wide strategic planning and other organizational development processes.
- Minimum 3 years experience in organizing and youth development
- Commitment to social and environmental justice and agreement with organizational mission and goals
- Ability to work well with diverse groups and populations
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Skilled facilitator and familiarity with popular education principles
- Excellent organizational skills– good attention to detail and well organized
- Solid computer skills (knowledge of Microsoft Office, Internet, Social Media, and databases)
- Team player, self-starter, quick learner, and ability to work in fast-paced environment
- Flexibility to work some weeknights and weekends
- Bilingual in English & Spanish
- Full time
Salary and benefits competitive and commensurate with experience.
We are a friendly, team-oriented, and flexible work environment.
Email your Cover Letter, Resume and 3 References to:
Rolling Application until position is filled
LVEJO is an equal opportunity employer
People of Color, Bi- & Multi-Lingual/Cultural, Youth, Women, LGBT People, are strongly encouraged to apply.